Amazon ungated categories refer to those Products that You Can Sell on Amazon Without Approval. Selling products on Amazon is a long and winding journey. You can start easily but mastering it takes time. There are very technical things about selling on the platform that you come to know with time. However, this article will guide you to understand and overcome the hurdles in selling online. This article includes:
- What is a Gated Category? List of Gated Categories
- Reasons for Gated Categories on Amazon
- How to Ungate the Gated Categories on Amazon?
- What are Ungated Categories?
- List of Ungated Categories
- What are Restricted Categories?
- What if I Violated the Restrictions Imposed by Amazon?
- Sum Up
Three different types of gating and restrictions are on Amazon. These are gated categories, gated brands, and restricted products. So, let us take a look at the current gated categories and restricted products.
What is a Gated Category?
The group of products that requires approval from Amazon to be sold on their website is called Gated Category. This includes performance appraisals, fees, and other prerequisites for selling those products online. The main motive behind gating a category of products is to protect customers and sellers, particularly from forgeries and counterfeits. It is important to know that there are restricted name brands, known as brand gates, which you cannot sell without approval, and that approval is often not easy to get. In addition, it should be kept in mind that the process varies depending on the item as well.
List of Gated Categories
The list of gated categories is provided to you so you can know that these products can be sold online on Amazon.
- Collectible Coins
- Entertainment Collectibles
- Fine Art
- Gift Cards
- Music & DVD
- Major Appliances
- Postage Stamps
- Sports Collectibles
- Streaming Media Players
- Video, DVD, & Blu-ray
Reasons for Gated Categories on Amazon
The main reason for gated categories is to check counterfeits. Amazon imposes regulations, and products are sold daily for consumption.
Mock products like duplicated DVDs, fake name-brand handbags, replica jewelry, and similar beauty products would easily pass as authentic on other eCommerce platforms.
The platform, however, seeks to verify that traders on their platform are genuine, decent, and impartial before giving them the selling privileges to trade products in sensitive categories.
How to Ungate the Gated Categories on Amazon?
The process of approval for accessing the gated category is easy but time-consuming. To see if you and your product are eligible, simply go through the following steps:
- First, log in to your Seller Central account.
- Once you are on your homepage, click on the ‘Category’ tab located near the top-left of the screen.
- Next, from the dropdown, select ‘Add Products’.
- From there, find the item you want to sell.
- Then, click on ‘Show limitations’ to the left of the product info.
- Finally, either you will be able to click the ‘Request Approval’ button to begin the application process, or you will receive a notification saying you are not approved and that applications are not being accepted.
What are Amazon Ungated Categories?
In comparison to gated categories, many categories are automatically open for all sellers on the e-commerce platform, including new ones. These are an excellent start for most sellers and often a way to get experience. These categories are called ungated categories.
The regulations for gated categories are different from one to the next. If you want to sell in a particular category on Amazon, you may be required to pay additional fees, submit performance checks, and any other actions Amazon deems necessary.
List of Amazon Ungated Categories
- Amazon Kindle: Kindle is for sale of digital and audible books. These books can be published by any publishing house or they can be self-published.
- Baby Products (excluding apparel): all the products that are for babies or infants ranging from shampoo to car seats can be sold under this category.
- Beauty: In the beauty category, the products used for makeup by consumers and professionals are common products found in this category.
- Books: You do not require authorization to sell new and used books, along with Kindle books. However, for collectibles and rare books, you require authorization.
- Cell Phones & Accessories: Smartphones, cell phones, phone cases, batteries, and headsets can be found under this ungated category.
- Consumer Electronics: The appliances for your kitchen and personal grooming are popular examples of consumer electronics you can sell online on the platform.
- Grocery & Gourmet Foods: Grocery and gourmet foods include baby food, prepared food, and fresh meal kits, along with specialty foods like vegan, keto, and calorie-based foods.
- Home & Garden: Things that are used in the home like rugs and those that are used in a garden like lights and tools are sold under this category.
- Industrial & Scientific: Industry-related equipment like printers are sold under this category.
- Kindle Accessories and Fire TV Accessories: These are also unrestricted.
- Office Products: These products include office supplies and other essentials.
- Pet Supplies: Pet food, accessories, and other related items comprise this category.
- Toys & Games: These are not ungated but selling under this category is prosperous.
- Electronics: Best-selling products are electronic peripherals, such as computer mice, keyboards, and cables.
- Camera & Photo: A subset of electronics, this category includes cameras, photography equipment, camera accessories, and more
- Video Games: These include digital games as well as gaming products.
- Books: Digital, hard copy, new, and used books can be a top-selling category. Amazon started working as a book-selling online portal.
- Clothing, Shoes, & Jewelry: You can sell clothes, shoes, and other stuff in this category except for the branded ones.
Also see: How to Make Passive Income on Amazon?
What are Restricted Categories?
Besides gated and ungated categories for selling products online, some categories are restricted on Amazon. Below is the list of categories restricted for sale on the platform:
- Animals & Animal-Related Products
- Art – Fine Art
- Art – Home Decor
- Automotive and Power sports
- Composite Wood Products
- Cosmetics & Skin/Hair Care
- Currency, Coins, Cash Equivalents, and Gift Cards
- Dietary Supplements
- Drugs & drug paraphernalia
- Explosives, Weapons, and Related Items
- Export Controls
- Food & Beverage
- Gambling & Lottery
- Hazardous and Dangerous Items
- Human Parts & Burial Artifacts
- Jewelry & Precious Gems
- Laser products
- Lock Picking & Theft Devices
- Medical devices and accessories
- Offensive and Controversial Materials
- Pesticides and Pesticide Devices
- Plant and Seed Products
- Postage Meters & Stamps
- Recalled Products
- Recycling electronics
- Subscriptions and Periodicals
- Surveillance Equipment
- Tobacco & Tobacco-Related Products
- Warranties, Service Plans, Contracts, and Guarantees
- Other Restricted Products
- Refrigerants: Ozone-depleting substances and Substitutes
Though the following products are not included on the platform’s current list of restricted products, they have restrictions as well:
- Ink and toner cartridges
What if I Violated the Restrictions Imposed by Amazon?
It is quite tempting to break rules and enter the grey zone to avoid restrictions imposed by Amazon. However, we highly suggest you should not try violating the restrictions imposed as,
- Amazon could delete/cancel your listings
- Amazon may apply further limits as to what you can list
- Amazon could take away your ability to list new products
- They could suspend your Seller account entirely
After doing the required research, you made a list of the perfect products to sell on Amazon. The products are in demand and the competition is low. Its sales potential is almost limitless. However, how would you feel when you find out that you might not be able to sell it because it falls into one of the restricted categories?
The gated categories might be a barrier for many sellers. However, for many, it is the key to success. Focus on the opportunities others are not looking for or chances they are not willing to take is somehow going to pay you back. Almost every new seller has found success by following the proper steps and being strategic about their product selections.
There is a lot of space on the e-commerce platform to build your experience and reputation as a seller. Once you have done that, you can consider whether you should begin selling in one of the gated categories. Hope this helps.
I along with my team help SMBs with all kinds of Digital Marketing Services.
Contact us today!
Looking for Kashmir Exclusives? Then head to Kashmirica where we curate products straight from the valley of Kashmir.
Read other blogs:
- What is Amazon KDP? The Complete Guide
- How To Start an Amazon FBA Business With Little Money?
- What Is An Amazon Brand Store?
- How Can You Sell Used Items on Amazon?
- Selling on Walmart vs Selling on Amazon
- How To Start Amazon Dropshipping in Canada?
- How To Use Amazon Attribution To Boost Sales?
- Amazon FBA or Dropshipping: Which one is Right for You?
- Selling Clothes on Amazon: Essentials
Mir is a British-educated Digital Marketing Expert with 10+ years of experience in the B2B, D2C, and eCommerce Industries. Having worked with 50+ startups and SMEs, he has a clear understanding of what it takes to establish growth on online platforms.
He is also the Founder of Kashmirica, a social impact brand that aims to take exclusives from Kashmir to the Global consumer. An enthusiastic cultural entrepreneur, Mir is driven by a passion to bring about a social impact.
An avid reader, he loves writing about marketing, and entrepreneurship.